Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Older Cub cadet M60 tank (~2001) - PTO switch clutch

Customer Question

Older Cub cadet M60 tank (~2001) - PTO switch for electric clutch replaced twice and counting - coil on electric clutch measures 1 ohm, 14.25 volts (has a voltage amplifier due to failure to start without a jump) - I am guessing clutch replacement but want to make sure before buying one @ $400 - any advice?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Shows three relays, one is for pto. it should take the amperage load. Is it working? Seems like it would protect the switch, that is why you use a relay! I don't see anything that identifies, the relay, all are same number. Use wire colors to identify the pto relay. Clutch should pull less than 5 amps!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I swapped the relay with one of the other relays between the first and second switch replacements ... so I counted out the relay as my problem. From what I can find, the coil should measure ~ 3 ohms. Is my measurement of 1 ohm on the electric clutch ok?

ohm reading can be deceiving, best to try and test its amperage pull. Is this adjustable clutch, with three self locking nuts and springs? If so, you can close the gap between the magnet and the armature , to lower the amp load.

sorry, I'm off to bed, long day!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
three self locking nuts to adjust the gap - I'll close the gap and measure the current with a clamp-on after I get another new switch. I'm like you, the relay should protect the switch no matter what the current is on the coil. Could the 14.25 volts be too much for the PTO switch? The voltage amplifier was just installed over the winter. I'll check back with you after I get the switch. Thanks! Curt

Voltage will not damage the switch. Has to be amperage load to heat up switch!

I see question is still open. Did the clutch gap help?