Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2000, XW2002. The right side is acting up. It is

Customer Question

I have a 2000, XW2002. The right side is acting up. It is hard to move the arm into forward or reverse. No mechanical binding interfering with the traverse of the linkage. When it does engage, either direction, it is very jerky until reaching speed. I believe the issue to be in the pump. This is based on the difficulty with the actuator and knowing that an over center pump should be smooth. The hose on the case bleed fitting has blown off several time since this has started as well. Before the expense of a new pump or motor, would like to get the advise of a pro.
1051 hrs. Hydraulic filters and fluid replaced at ~500 hours (6 years ago), fluids checked before each use, only DC hydraulic oil used in the system.
I have a BSMET degree, specializing in hydraulics and pneumatic systems, I carried an CFPS certification for 10 years. I am no DA, I just have been out for a while and need reassurance.
Thanks,
Brian
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The mower is a Dixie Chopper.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Brian my name is***** will be assisting you.

While it does sound like you have a pump issue with this one I would recommend doing an actual pump test to see what the flow is from the pump. In order to do this you would have to use a pump flow gauge. It could be that you have a partial blockage in the wheel motor that is actually causing your issue and not the pump at all. The wheel motor blockage would cause a backup of pressure in the pump which would also explain the hose blowing off and the slow response when first beginning to move.