Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Toro 22" self propelled mower. No start. I have

Customer Question

I have a Toro 22" self propelled mower. No start. I have replaced ignition coil, primer bulb, plug and air cleaner using recommended parts. Also cleaned bowl and jet screw, put in new gas. No start when primed with bulb. I can spray carb clean into plug opening, replace plug and wire and after about 6 pulls it will run any where from 30 sec to 2-3 mins and then cuts off. No amount of pull start will get it running.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Did you gap the coil when you replaced it ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gapped it with a business card. It was tight. Maybe it was too tight?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It also has something like a miss in firing when it would cycle. I did not mess with the carb adjustment as it appears to be fixed. I did not remove the carb from the body but spayed inside while it was still mounted to the body.

Part 40 in this diagram is the bowl bolt , there are ports in the sides and one in the top where it threads in. Have you cleaned those out ? I use a needle and carburetor cleaner like gumout and spray down into the hole in the top making sure it sprays out the sides .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did but it could get clogged again. I will do that tomorrow and advise.

Ok let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unable to get to the mower today. Grocery shopping and taking care of wife's appointments. By the way we are both in our 80's so thing come a bit slower! Will be in touch. Stay with me.
No problem , I'm here to help as long as you need
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
far I have been able to get the mower running. A neighbor told me I need a new carb. Doesn't sound like a good solution. Do you think I should dismount the carb, clean it good in carb cleaner, replace the valve (has 2 O rings on it) clean the float unit and replace the gas lines and maybe use an inline filter? What about a new jet valve? I am just about to the stage junking it (but it hasn't been used that much)! Sorry you don't live in the neighbor!

Yes I'd opening up spray out the carb bowl bolt ports , the ports in the carb etc

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still not running.It "acts like" it wants to start on the few polls but then nothing. I have to put this on hold as I have OT company for the next due to a family death.

Ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your patience. I thought life was supposed to be simpler when you reach my age. Not so!

It's ok , things happen , I'm here to help , I think at this point I'd try shooting gas directly into the carburetor if possible and see if it will start momentarily. If not we may be looking at some other problem . Take your time on working on it and just get back to me when you can

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As you can see I have invested much time and money in this unit and have followed all of your instructions. I still could life back into the unit other than some sputters. I am not investing further. Someone suggested a compression test with more expense. I am junking the unit and have bought a new mower. Your time and suggestions were much appreciated but did not correct the unit. Subsequently I am asked for a refund for the $18.00. Please credit back to my card and advise when the transaction will occur. Thanks again for your help and patience.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Sorry you couldn't get it resolved, if you contact customer service They can refund you your money