Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Deere L110 w/Kohler 17.hp engine. When it heats up

Customer Question

I have a John Deere L110 w/Kohler 17.hp engine. When it heats up with PTO engaged it stalls. You can turn off blades and put on choke for a bit but it will eventually die. I have replaced spark plug, fuel filter, blown out fuel lines, replaced fuel pump and now the ignition with no luck, same issue. I also checked the gas cap to make sure there were no restrictions and even ran it with the cap loose.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

have you adjusted the valve s??

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, i have not adjusted the valves.
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that

do a valve adjustment

both valves set at .005 engine cold

If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more Stars

If more info is need use reply button

Not Poor/Bad Service

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks I'll try that this weekend and let you know the result.
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

OK Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wayne, I don't think this Kohler engine has an adjustment on the valves like a Briggs&Stratton. There is no adjustment on the bolt on the valve lifters. I believe this engine has hydraulic valve lifters. See attached photo.
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Hi

Your correct some models had adjustment

this one is Hydraulic lifters

next time this happens , see if your loosing spark

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wayne, it seems like it's overheating after a few mins. The engine is super hot when it stalls out. Does it shutdown automatically to prevent engine damage that you know of?
Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

HI

Well that is a new light on the subject

that is a head gasket going bad

hot exhaust gasses going into intake

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, I just replaced the head gasket. The gasket didn't seem too bad or shot but there was carbon buildup in the valves. I cleaned it all up nice. However, when I ran it again, same thing. Cut fine for 5 minutes and then died again. I don't know where else to look at this point. I've replaced half the lawn mower now.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

HI

Thank you for that

carbon build up, in the valves,

you may have a clogged muffler

remove the muffler, see if it runs OK

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Removed muffler, same thing. Stalled in 3 minutes.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi

Sorry for delay, Saturday, and Kids and Grand kids over

for dinner and Pool

last thing left is timing, need to pull the flywheel and make sure the key is no part sheared

that will cause it also

I hope this helped you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I tore apart the flywheel, ordered a new key. Same dam thing. There was a mouse crushed in the flywheel but I cleaned it all out. The key looked ok but I bought a new one anyway. I'm ready to go buy a new tractor, can't figure out why it's doing this for the life of me.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that

so do you have spark, and runs oK

until it gets hot, then quits

let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has spark even after it dies out.Ed
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ed

I will opt-out

see if another has suggestion

sorry I could not hel p you

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I see your prior conversation with Wayne. Have you ran a compression test right after it dies ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not but was wondering if it could be losing compression. How would I test that?Ed

I would rent or buy a cheaper compression tester , youremove the spark plug and screw the testers in crank it over and get your psi or lbs of compression reading , then put the spark plug back in and run it till it dies . Then carefully remove the hot spark plug and use the tester to get a reading and see if these compression loss

On most 4 cycles you need 60 psi or higher to run . On bigger engine es they can have 120 psi . But if you have 100 psi before running and after it dies you have 60 then you know it's losing compression

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, had to wait a few days to get a compression test kit form Autozone. I have 90 PSI when it's cold. After running for a few minutes and it stalling, PSI drops to 80.

Ok I'm trying to get a actual compression range for the larger kohler engines but I'm betting that low for the higher hp engines .

It looks like most kohler have 110 to 130 psi , so 90 is on the low end then it drops to 80 . The valves are adjustable with that engine though it has a acr which is automatic compression release .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has hydraulic lifters, I tried to adjust but didn't see any adjustment like Briggs has. It is hard to start sometimes I have to turn the flywheel to give it some room to spin or the battery doesn't want to start it.
Have you checked the timing key in the flywheel?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced it though there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it. I cleaned out the flywheel and all the fins in the whole engine as well. I'm replacing the entire fuel line today as it seems it's fuel related to me. Have already checked the gas cap and replaced the fuel pump as well.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also going to try to readjust the new ignition I put in to make sure it's spaced properly, maybe it's off slightly not sure but will double check it.

It sounds to my like when it heats up your losing compression to the point it dies . You could check the compression when it dies which was 80 then check it right after it will restart again to see if it gets more compression back as it cools

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From talking to someone else about compression I'm not sure about testing it with the automatic compression release. Could that impact my reading? Then I was thinking maybe there's an issue with the acr itself?

It could be, the problem is those valves can't be adjusted

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I made some progress. I replaced the entire fuel line and it doesn't stall anymore. I cut half the front yard without it stalling, only problem is it's running like shit now. Sputtering and sounds like it will almost stall though it doesn't. I pulled off the flywheel again, I had dropped the old flywheel key in the stator, took that out. Then I readjusted the ignition to make it a little closer and now it doesn't stall. Perhaps I need at adjust the carb now?

Maybe the old fuel line was deteriorating from the inside and got into the carburetor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had checked/cleaned the carb previously and it was clean as a whistle but I'll check again.
Was there any restrictions in the old line