John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

Deere X360 with about 120 hours runs great wide open but

Customer Question

John Deere X360 with about 120 hours runs great wide open but when throttled way back it surges. I replaced the filter as an easy 1st step but that didn't cure the problem.
When idling it acts like it is starving for gas to the point of almost quitting and then gets a sudden surge. Could it be the fuel pump?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 4 months ago.

good afternoon david my name is ***** ***** wouldn't say the fuel pump is the issue only because it runs so well at high idle. normally that's when they fail. sounds to me like the govenour is "hunting" because of an improper fuel air mix. do you use high octane gas without ethenal? if not definatly switch to that. ethanol is very hard on the small engine fuel systems and tends to "gum" up the carb. a cheap thing to try first is adding in an additive called sea foam and run the machine for a while. see if that doesn't help clean out the carb and get it running correctly again

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I use only 91 octane in absolutely everything I own except my car and pickup. I will, however, try the sea foam and let you know if it works. Thank you.

no problem and SMART MAN!

if that doesn't clear up the problem I we can move on to the next steps

Expert:  John Oliver replied 3 months ago.

any luck with the additive?

can I assist any farther on this or can I close out the case?