Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines

I have a Yanmar 1500D tractor (4x4). I hooked up the battery

Customer Question

I have a Yanmar 1500D tractor (4x4). I hooked up the battery backwards last spring and smelled smoke but didn't see where it was coming from. I corrected the issue, tractor wouldn't start. Later tried again, tractor started and ran. Now this spring, I brought the fully charged battery out, hooked it up correctly, and get power, but engine won't crank. Any ideas? Have you heard of these little tractors?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes and yes and yes.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: At this point, yes. I was on the phone with Hoye Tractor, who supplies Yanmar parts. They helped me troubleshoot to check different places for 12V readings. All the places checked out 12V that they said to check. They said to check the starter AND the solenoid. But it seems that they both joined together and the smaller piece on top (I assume the solenoid) read 12V across it. So I ordered a starter and it's on the way. But just wondering if I did the right thing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: ??? That's all I got. These tractors are gray market mini tractors made in Japan.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

what you are describing is the starter was shorted out

yes if you have 12 volts on the small terminal at the starter

then if is burned out

I hope this helped you

If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more Stars

If more info is need use reply button

Not Poor/Bad Service

Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Just a follow up with you

did my answer help you

let me know ,Please