Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 1985 Honda Elite CH250 that had been sitting years.

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Honda Elite CH250 that had been sitting for several years. I charged battery and it starts for 3-4 seconds but will not idle and throttling seems to kill it.
After reading many chat rooms I removed and cleaned fuel tank. I replaced carburetor which has a new by starter. Changed the fuel filter and I still have exact same problem.
I pulled the fuel line at the carburetor to verify flow cranked the starter and seemed to have a good flow I put the fuel line into the carburetor air intake and was able to throttle the engine normally for a short period of time as I did not leave the tube in the carburetor.
I just learned that this was the exact problem that caused the scooter to sit for those years so this is not an issue of the scooters lack of use.
What could the problem be? Please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Can you loosen the exhaust at the head , to see if the exhaust may be plugged? If the exhaust is plugged, the fule will not enter the cylinder, as the exhaust can not get out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try but it does not seem right since it does seem to run fine once I pour fuel to carb air intake

Do you get a good solid fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor? I see it has fuel shutoff in the tank. You are right, the exhaust is not a problem, if it runs when you put fuel in the carb. Has to be a lack of fuel.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Finally had time test the flow. I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor. I held the fuel line in front of the carburetor air in take and pressed starter button, let in about an ounce and a half. Then I held the fuel line into a bucket hit the start button again and it starts as I'm gently revving the engine for about 20 seconds. There is a consistent flow into the bucket from the fuel tank.Something else I want to add--With the fuel line reconnected to the carburetor it starts immediately every time and runs for about 3 to 5 seconds if I try to start it again immediately after the 3 to 5 seconds it will not start but if I wait around 20 seconds and try it again it will then again run for 3 to 5 seconds

I keep looking for a fuel regulator, or fuel pump, but It does not show one. Seems like you are getting too much fuel to carb. But maybe the float and needle valve is not controlling the fuel flow. But you have a new carburetor!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Finally had time test the flow as you asked. I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor. I held the fuel line in front of the carburetor air in take and pressed starter button, let in about an ounce and a half. Then I held the fuel line into a bucket hit the start button again and it starts as I'm gently revving the engine for about 20 seconds. There is a consistent flow into the bucket from the fuel tank.Something else I want to add--With the fuel line reconnected to the carburetor it starts immediately every time and runs for about 3 to 5 seconds if I try to start it again immediately after the 3 to 5 seconds it will not start but if I wait around 20 seconds and try it again it will then again run for 3 to 5 seconds

This is new carburetor? Seems like it is not controlling the flow into the float bowl. I would check the needle and seat and the float, as they are what has to keep the flow from over running the bowl and flooding the cylinder.