Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have the exact problem on this web page 20 hp BS model

Customer Question

I have the exact problem on this web page for a 20 hp BS model 461707 Type 0145-e3 turbo cool . judging by you answer on this issue, I;m convinced the Compression valve on the camshaft is bad...Is the a way to rig a pull start. My problem is just turning over...
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: brand new battery and plugs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can....yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is it worth the trouble to fix or find a different engine?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Based on the information that you have provided it sounds like you are having issues with the engine cranking over. Have you checked the valve clearances? If the clearances become too wide then the compression release will not operate properly which will cause the engine to crank really hard or slow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't check them, its not an OHV How do I get to it?

You would have to remove the carburetor intake in order to access the valve covers or breather assembly plates on this engine. Once you remove the valve covers then you can check the clearances. If you have to make any adjustments then it requires removal of the heads and valves from the engine block in order to make any adjustments.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I read somewhere that the valves aren't adjustable, I'll need to precision grind them down.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that true? ....and Would it be easier to just get a different engine?

In a sense that is true. However they aren't precision ground, you can remove them from the block and file the end of the valve stem in order to change the clearance. The problem here is that I believe you may have too much clearance already and if this is the case it means that you will have to replace the vlave(s) with new ones and gap to proper clearance. Your question about getting a different engine is a valid one however unless you find a used one you can't replace this engine with an exact match new one(it is not made anymore). The new engines are all overhead valve and have a bit different dimension, the mounting footprint is the same but the overall size is larger and normally will not fit back under the hood.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can I rig a pull start?

You could possibly rig one on there but the engine is going to be very difficult to pull start if you can pull it at all.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried ...youre right....... I dug in and got one of the valve covers off. I got a .006 feeler gauge in the valve gap

The valve settings on this engine are going to be Intake .005- .007 and Exhaust .009 - .011. Therefore, .006 if it is on the intake valve is a good clearance. I would not be concerned if that is on the intake valve, however I would want to check all of the valves.