Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gravely HD 48 (991108). It runs fine period of time

Customer Question

I have a Gravely HD 48 (991108). It runs fine for a period of time sometimes even up to 1 hour, but then it will act like it is running out of gas a shut off. I have taken it to the shop several times and they have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines (outside of the tank), and cleaned the carb. I have taken the pick up line out of the tank and leak tested the pickup line. When the machine shuts off there is not fuel in the fuel filter and it will not restart. I can remove the return line on the top of the fuel tank and pressurize the fuel tank with a small amount of air which forces fuel into the lines and filter. After doing that the machine will start and run fine for some period of time. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Is the fule tank vent open, or is the tank drawing a vacuum?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I forgot to list that. One of the shops I took it to said they checked the fuel cap and it was working properly, but it has not been changed.

Have you tried running with the cap loose?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try that.

If no change, make a test fuel line, and attach it to the fuel pump inlet, and drop it back into the fuel tank filler and run for test, with tank and outlet line bypassed.