John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

My troy built riding mower idles up and down, troy built

Customer Question

my troy built riding mower idles up and down
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: troy built pony probably 4 yrs. old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: engine was idleing up and down now it wont start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.

GOOD morning my name is ***** ***** il do what I can to help you solve this issue

so what is happening is the governor is "hunting" trying to find the spot to settle on based on fuel and load. when the carb isn't fueling correctly it confuses the system and the results are what you have. I would assume that your carb needs to be cleaned or rebuilt so that it can deliever the correct fuel/air mixture

my suggestion before you tear anything apart would be to add fresh gas of the highest grad you can get. the less ethanol you put in the tank the better. add some "sea foam" to the gas. change the spark plug and run it hard. the additive should help clean out the carb. if it continues to hunt then you will need to remove the carb and have it rebuilt

hope this helps and good luck

thanks again for using JA

that additive can be found in any auto parts store

any luck with the additive?