Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

My old electric generator produces 25-30 volts instead of

Customer Question

my old electric generator produces 25-30 volts instead of 230 V
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Lister petter AD1 series.I guess that it is 25-30 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.I am an electrician.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: genset must be approx. 4 kVA.Brush alternator(3 slip rings).In control panel, one transformer exist.I replaced diodes and capacitor.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I attached some pictures for you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I removed stator wire lead(+) on silicon bridge rectifier.I gave 12 V dc from battery to this wire when genset run.Then,I read 110 V AC when checked with voltmeter in the control panel.As you can see in the pictures, genset is old and no Avr exist.I think that this genset manufactured as a 110 V Ac.However, how genset converted as a 240 v Ac, I didn't understand. If you can help me about this problem, I will be very happy.regards, Ahmet.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

If you have not checked for any broken wiring this needs done to see if any wiring is found to be at fault needing replaced.I have seen issues with the wiring on some models cause issues like this here needing repaired or replaced.If all wiring and connections were checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Pete for your interest. I didn't find fault on my genset yet.I hope that I can repair it with your assist. I checked the cables from control panel to brushes rotor and from brushes to silicon diode bridge.It seems ok.If you can explain me working principle of this genset(or similar gensets), I can solve problem step by step.
In addition, what is the meaning of 110volt reading on voltmeter,when I send signal from battery to stator wire lead (+)?.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete