JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a 8.5 briggs on a kart son. The problem we are having

Customer Question

I have a 8.5 briggs on a kart for my son. The problem we are having is after he comes off high speed runs for more than a few seconds the engine goes back to idle then low idle then dies.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is this happening only after he has been riding the cart or does it also happen if the cart is on blocks and stationary?

My thought is that your problem is due to over fueling or fuel splash that occurs when the cart is moving and the float is bouncing around allowing excess fuel to enter the system. When you slow down or try to idle the excess fuel floods the engine to a point that it dies. The only way to fix this is to add an assist spring the carburetor float in order to help hold it closed in rough terrain. The spring would be similar to what is used on the engines when they are put into tiller applications or snowblower applications.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does it when it is both on blocks (stationary) and moving. It has been run only on smooth pavement.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Does this have the Walbro or Mikuni carburetor on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has no markings or mfg. name on it.

I am including a diagram of what I believe to be your carburetor. Will you take a look and verify that this looks like your carburetor? Prior to the engine stopping does it begin to surge?