JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 25 hp Kawasaki 0 turn mower with 61 inch deck. I

Customer Question

I have a 25 hp Kawasaki scag 0 turn mower with 61 inch deck. I mistakenly mix some premier gas with my regular gas. I ran the mower about 45 minutes cutting my grass then it cut off going up a small hill. And it didn't want to start back up. After 6 or 7 attempts it foundly started. It move very under power. It's got 487 hours on it. I removed the plugs and one was fouled out and the other one was just old. I put new plugs in it but it's still under power. The smallest amount of grass will choke it down, and it no longer has the speed it uses to have. I changed the gas out also. The engin sound OK sitting there idling. Have I damage it.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, I put new gas in it. It's has two tanks, I switch from left to right tanks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, what do you think is wrong with it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
Premium gas will not hurt your lawn mower.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I will list several possibilities
for you to check.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
1:,fuel flter/ filters check the fuel filter to see if it is clogged.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
There may be more than one.2: if the furl filter is extremely dirty you may want to replace it instead of cleaning it. Small inline plastic filters should ve thrown away and replaced.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
NOTE: If you have been using gas with ethanol (best to use nonethenol gasoline) therr is more to check that is normally
ok.3: with the fuel f
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
With ethanol hoses and other parts can deteriorate.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
4: if gas will not flow through the hose freely replace the gas line
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
5: with or wuthout ethanol carburetors can become dirty and the jets clogged.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
6: removing the carb and drain all gas from it . Take apart and check for blockagevor trash.
If it looks necessary clean all parts and reasemble.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
NOTE: Some parts, "0 rings"
jets may need replacing rather than cleaning.
7: make sure all passages in the carb are clear. You can test using an air conpressor set low 20/ 30
Psi
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
8: renove fuel pump and check for deterioration and blockage.
Make sure the lines in and out are clear. If in doubt replace
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
9: check that fuel is flowing freely out of the gas tanks and through their " cut offs"
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
There are other possibilities but this should get you going.
Any one or a multiple of these is the possible cause of your problem.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I will be glad to answer any quedtions you may have.
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
NOTE: the air filter is also a good place to look for problems.
Replace at least annually for minimal use non dusty areas .
More often if otherwise. 6 months or each season
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
If it can be cleaned you can clean and check in doubt replace
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I appoligise for the duplicate paragraphs in the answer. I have seen this glitch before but nothing I can do on my end to stop it
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I will be glad to clarify anything you wish to ask about.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When will I get this call
Expert:  machinc replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry . I am unable to participate in the Live Phone Call Program due to my equipment and local facilities .
I will opt out of the question and another expert will pick it up.
Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will try to pick up and continue to assist you.

As any one of the other items that were mentioned could be a problem to your issue.

You may have also bent a push rod in one of the cylinders which is now causing the engine to run on only one cylinder with low or no power. You can check this by removing one of the spark plug wires from the plugs and try to start the engine. If the engine starts then switch by putting that wire back on and removing the other and try to start the engine. If the engine fails to start with either of the plug wires removed then you know that the problem is within the cylinder that fails to start with the plug wire attached. I would then proceed to a spark test to make certain that the ignition coil is firing on that cylinder since this engine has two separate coils one for each cylinder. If you have good spark then I would do a compression check on both cylinders and compare the two readings. If within 10% of each other then I would look elsewhere for the issue but if there is more than 10% difference in the two I would remove the valve cover and check the push rods, if you find no problems there then the next step would be to remove the head and check the cylinder, head gasket and valves for leakage.