Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications

A neighbor of mine while mowing had s 18.5 hp &s start

Customer Question

a neighbor of mine while mowing had his 18.5 hp b&s start acting up and then backfired & died. cranked but will not start would set for a while crank, start run a few sec. & die solenoid in bowl works. seemed to have good spark. i found flywheel pin sheared. replaced, cranked, fired right up. ran a few secs, good started backfiring intake & exhaust died and now all it will do is backfire while cranking. flywheel pin still good. what next? valves?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i was yes unless it turns into something major there is a month wait for experts to get to it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats all i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I would check the valves for a bent push rod or loose valve keeper