Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines

I have a craftsman riding mower model # 917.203900 that

Customer Question

I have a craftsman riding mower model ####-##-####that abruptly stopped working. I have done routine maintenance on it yearly (oil,oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc.) and it has never given me any trouble until now. What could the issue be?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2 months after our routine maintenance, fuel come out of the muffler when we were trying to start the engine so we ordered a carburetor kit and changed all gaskets, o ring and valve float needle. It is no longer leaking fuel from the muffler when we try turn the ignition to start the motor, however it does not turn over unless my husband sprays starter fluid directly in the carburetor-even then it only runs momentarily and then dies out again.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

what you are describing is jet is plugged in the carb

when he rebuilt it did he boil it out ??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Details on what a boil is (sounds self explanatory, but want to make sure)? No he did not boil it out, the carburetor was completely clean, no build up or gunk anywhere-can there be a plugged jet with no visible build up? So we replaced gaskets, o ring and float valve needle since we ordered it and opened it-couldn't return. No more fuel coming out of muffler once did overhaul, but still no engine turnover.
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Boil the carb out in a pot of hot water 10-15 min

after disassemble air dry , the rebuild again same parts

yes small jets you will not see the dirt,clog

If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more Stars

If more info is need use reply button

Not Poor/Bad Service

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will take a while for us to break motor down again and pull the carburetor out to follow your "boil out" instructions. I will follow up after we have completed it if my husband does not get called out to work the rest of the weekend. If he is called in for duty, it will not be until the beginning of next week that I can either tell you if this worked or not. Any other suggestions for any other components when we have it open?
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

That is fine , keep me posted

and remember to rate my answer, Please