Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I've been using my Troy-bilt TB5908C -4 years and never had

Customer Question

I've been using my Troy-bilt TB5908C for 3-4 years and never had troubles with it until two days ago. While using the trimmer attachment I began to hear a higher RPM from the head unit and noticed the trimmer quit rotating. I attached the edger to see which component was not functioning properly and although it would cut into the ground the system would start to vibrate so I would stop the edging. The blower seemed to work fine.
When I finished with the edger and blower I noticed that the kill button wasn't working when I pressed it.
At this point I turned to Google to research why the trimmer may not be working. I disassembled the shaft and removed the cover to the clutch to see if I saw any type of wear or loose components that may cause the drive shaft from not completely engaging. Nothing seemed to be grossly worn or broken.
I reassembled the shaft and now I can't get the motor to start. it seems to be dragging a bit more than before.
Can you please assist with both problems?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, the clutch drum itself could be a little e worn and the square rounded or the plastic coupler in the front. You could be feeling more resistance now because the shaft isn't lined up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I repair/remove the drum? There was some signs of wear on the shaft but no roundness in the drum. What do you mean by the shaft not lining up? I was sure to connect the two before tightening up the screws.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 5 months ago.

Only the top 3/8 inch or so drives the shaft. I'll send you a shop manual to download and look over.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks,
I'll try to work on the trimmer tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 5 months ago.

ok