Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I cannot keep my Briggs & Stratton engine running (6.5 hp

Customer Question

I cannot keep my Briggs & Stratton engine running (6.5 hp quantum 12000). I have cleaned the carb, put in a new plug, and cleaned out old gas. If I spray starter fluid it will run briefly
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: It's about 8 years old. It had not been run in a couple years. It was stored indoors. It's on a pressure washer
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I think I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It will only run when starter fluid is sprayed. It appears that gas is not reaching the cylinder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When can I expect an answer? I'm not seeing it in my email
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Many times, if an engine will only start up, if you spray starter fluid directly into your carburetor, this indicates that you have a fuel restriction inside your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Although you have already cleaned your carburetor, it is likely that you still have either a clogged jet, or clogged fuel passages in the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The bolt that secures your fuel bowl to your carburetor, is your main jet. It has three small holes in it. Did you use a small wire to clean these holes?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at the pictures below.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks again!