Chad, Technician
Experience:  Gas/Diesel Compressor, Generator, Welding Machine Specialist 17+ years Industral Repair

My brother and I have the same generator a Honda eu3000is

Customer Question

My brother and I have the same generator a Honda eu3000is and mine will not run by camper a/c when we plug it in 35 - 40 feet away from the camper, but my brothers will. We have replaced the 30 amp breaker. Can you tell my what else to check on it or what might be causing it to kick out? It stays running but no power. It overloads.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is Chad. I'm going to try and see if I can help you with this.

First I need some background information on a few things. When you try yours, and it doesn't work, do you do you try your brothers right away or is this at different times of the day with different outside temp and/or in a different location? (It make a difference that I'll explain in a bit)

Also to make sure where comparing apples to apples, are you using the exact same power cord for both generators? Also, do you know how many BTU's your a/c unit is? Or even better the make and model number so I can see what the rated amp draw for the unit is?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Everything is exactly the same. My generator just quit running the a/c. My generator use to run everything on the camper just fine.
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.

OK. I see now. It was working and now its not.

Do you have any output from the generator at all? If you plug something in to the outlet, like a drill or light, will it power it? Or is there no output from the generator at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is output for everything except the a/c. which is 12000 btu
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.

When you say the breaker is kicking out, is it the breaker on the generator or in the camper?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the generator
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.

Also before the breaker kicks out, does it sound like the engine is struggling or bogging down?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It won't kick up on high on the electric side
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.
When you say won't kick up do you mean that the engine will not speed up when you try turning the a/c on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hooking it directly to the plug from the camper it will run the a/c,but when we plug it into the 10 gauge 10-3 60 feet away from the camper it won't run the a/c.My brother's will.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
See previous response about the distance
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.
Is the total wire length 60 foot?
Reason I ask is I think your having a voltage drop issue.
If it works fine until you plug into a longer cord, that's about the only thing that will cause the breaker to kick out like your describing. When your trying this, do you have the Auto/Eco throttle off? Starting heavy loads like an A/C is really hard on the invertor units in these generators as is shutting off the engine under load (like when it runs out of fuel) Its one of the reasons Honda does not recommend using Eco-throttle when using with A/C units.Before we go farther do you have access to a multi-meter so when can voltage when the A/C is trying to start?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tell me why my brother's generator will work 60 ft away and mine won't
Expert:  Chad replied 4 months ago.

There are any number of reasons. Differences in manufacturing, age/hours on the unit, ect. You have said yourself that yours will work until you plug into a longer cord. That tells me 100% that there is a voltage drop causing high amperage draw when the A/C tries to start that causes the over current condition that is causing the breaker to kick.

To go any father with this, I really need to know the two about questions about the eco-throttle and the multi-meter.

Another thought is this. How old is the gas in the generator. If you have older gas in the tank, it is possible that the fuel doesn't have the same BTU (or power) content as the fuel in your brothers unit. I've run into this before. They will run, but don't have the power to start heavy loads. Not saying that is it, but its just a thought.