Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Toro Proline Mid-Size Mower - Model No. 30182, Ser.

Customer Question

I have a Toro Proline Mid-Size Mower - Model No. 30182, Ser. No. 690768 with a 16 HP Briggs & Statton Engine - Model(###) ###-####A1. The blades won't turn on the mower. In the past few weeeks, I have replaced the module, the switch, the regulator/rectifier and the alternator. Nothing works!
The voltage output from the regulator/rectifier (Model #491546) is only 7-8 volts. Specs say it is 14.V. I contacted the company I bought it from and they sent me another one. Got the same results. If we hook up a 15 V battery, the blades turn. The power from the enginne is what it should be, but the input is not. Could the clutch--or some part of it--be the problem; and if so what?
I am not a mechanic, but I have taken the advise of a Toro dealer here in Columbia about the parts to buy and a mechanic neighbor has helped with the replacements.
Thanks for any help.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can anyone help me with this?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Is battery voltage at least 12.5 volts? Is the charging system working? With engine running, is voltage at battery above 13 volts?

No battery on the unit?

When you replaced the alternator, were the magnets in the flywheel good> No cracks, and not loose?

Did you see my responses?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You did not answer anything. You just asked a lot of silly questions. I am not a mechanic. I don't know what the answers were; and even if i did, they would not have solved my problem. However, I see that you have debited my banking account for the amount that would pay for an answer. You can bet your bottom dollar I will NEVER, EVER use this service again.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Never thought this group was a bunch of cheats and charlatans!!

We try to help! Without basic knowledge of what you have, we have to ask questions. You may not know all the answers, but it could help in the diagnosis. Your output from the regulator/rectifier has to be above battery voltage, the alternator(stator) under the flywheel is where it all starts, it has to have good magnets and can't be broken or damaged, and tight on the flywheel. It should produce a minimum of 28 volts AC where engine is running, for the rectifier to produce 14 volts DC, to work the clutch or charge a battery.