Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2002 Troy Bilt walk behind mower that I have always

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Troy Bilt walk behind mower that I have always had a hard time to get started.. It hasn't run for 6 years so I gave it a tune up today. new plug ... new blade.... new air filter.... oil change and rebuilt the Carburetor , got it running after about 35 pulls.. but the next time I had to refuel... could not get it to start again. I recall some time ago getting a service bulletin about this problem, but I don't remember what the resolution was.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: no valve on this model and yes fresh fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: would you recommend a new carb
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. How long did your engine run after you got it started, after the 35 pulls?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About an hour ... it was a little rough at first but it smooth out after about 10 min. And was working great.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ya.... I cleaned the carb with cleaner inspected and clean all viable ports before I put it back together.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The reason I asked, is because, I would like for you to spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only thing I can do now is try that in the morning and see if it works . But I have always had a hard starting problem with this mower since new. And I know troy bilt has had an awareness of this problem with this model. But just remember what the resolution was.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If your engine starts up after you spray the carburetor cleaner into your carburetor, then it is possible that your choke is not fully closing, during start up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's very possible. .. but I don't see any adjustments for that.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

With the model numbers for your engine, I can check to see what type of choke you have. If you can try the carburetor cleaner in the morning, and get the model numbers from your engine, this will give us a good starting point, for troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've got the troy buit model number # ***** is 12av5560711 183621. But I don't have the Briggs and Stratton engine model number.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I will need the Briggs and Stratton model, type, and code numbers. Some chokes are thermostatically controlled, and should be completely closed when your engine is cold, and during initial started up. The choke automatically opens as your engine heats up.