Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a toro 149CC 6.75 engine on my mower and I have

Customer Question

I have a toro 149CC 6.75 engine on my mower and I have cleaned the carburator and the mower starts. After running about 5 minutes the engine starts hunting up and down for speed regulation and will continue doing this. It still runs, just can't regulate the engine. Any thoughts?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: fuel is in the machine and I can cut the whole yard with it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. This is a Briggs and Stratton engine right ? . If so the gas tank has a screen in it , that needs to be sprayed out with carburetor cleaner. Also the white center part of the carburetor can be pulled out and sprayed out with carburetor cleaner
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a Kohler engine not a Briggsstratten
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have cleaned carb and white insert. Also thin wire cleaned jets
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also ran full can of no additive fuel to help clean any old gasoline in the system

Did your spray it out with a carburetor cleaner like gumout?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had been using carburetor cleaner to start the engine, by removing the air filter and spraying it into the carb. When I removed the carburetor to clean it and the bowl and jets, this was all done with carburetor clean (spray). I can now start the engine on the second try and it runs, for 5 minutes or so with no change in engine stability. Once it warms up it starts hunting for a stable rpm point and the hunting(ocillating) engine continues until I shut it down. Once I shut it down and it is warm, I cannot start it normally. I have to remove the air filter and spray carburetor cleaner/engine starter into the carb to get it started again. Hope this makes it clearer for you.

That kohler has the auto choke on it like the newer briggs engines I think.. it may be not opening up completely. Can you see if the butterfly is open once it warms up ?