JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My JD 14SB, Silver Deck, operates in all 5 gears, free

Customer Question

my JD 14SB, Silver Deck, operates in all 5 gears, free wheels going forward, but does not freewheel when pulled backwards. When pulling backwards, the rear wheels will move (with difficulty in 1st gear, getting somewhat easier up through 5th gear). Previous posts here indicate potential problem with the running dog. Which part is the running dog?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: The repair shop repaired the transmission, replacing some part with parts from another used transmission in the last month. All gears worked when i left the shop, when i got it home, i put new JD wheels all around. I believe it has not freewheeled since bringing it home from the shop. Possible i did something wrong when i replaced the wheels myself?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dont think so--everything seems to work fine except no freewheel. Great mower, i have had it for 25 years, change the oil frequently.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: John Deere 14SB, built September 1992, serial number is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I have seen this problem on these machines numerous times. It is the drive pinion on the end of the axle which drives the wheels. If you will remove the pinions from both sides of the axle(be careful to not loose the key and spring when you remove the pinion), clean and lubricate the axle as well as the inside of the pinion you will fix you problem. Make certain that you do not switch the pinion from one side to the other or you will create another issue in that it will not pull itself.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.