JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am working on a mower that has a honda gxv690. I changed

Customer Question

I am working on a mower that has a honda gxv690. I changed the mower clutch. the instructions say the full throttle voltage should be between 13.4&14 volts,but the engine is putting out 14.6 volts. How can I corect this problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The engine is going to put out somewhere between 14 - 15 volts and there is no way to change it, you need this in order to keep the battery charged.

You just want to check the voltage that is actually going to the electric clutch, which will be less since it all has to pass through the wiring and switches prior to getting to the clutch.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done some more checking , the voltage on the stator wires is 60.2 ac volts this seems to be a little high to me. I also checked each side of the stator to ground 1 side is 13.6 ac the other is 14.6 ac is this acceptable ?

Yes, the stator should be fine based on the voltage output that you are getting. You typically are looking for at least 28VAC from the stator since you have above that it tells us that the stator is good. Then you would move on to the voltage regulator to check VDC output from it to the battery you should have something between 14 - 15 VDC. If this check is within the 14 - 15 VDC range then the regulator is good and you have no problems in the charging system. This testing does not mean that you are getting that same voltage to the electric clutch however. In order to know what you are getting to the clutch you will need to actually test the wires going to the clutch itself.