John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I took the carb. and fuel pump off my cousins mower (she is

Customer Question

I took the carb. and fuel pump off my cousins mower (she is a widow and I was trying to help her) because it would not start. I put a new carb. on it and tried to start. It would not pump gas so now I am wondering if the fuel pump is bad. I may have the lines hooked up wrong and need to know the proper way to hook them. I blew air back into the tank and the lines are clear. I'm at an end as to what to do. Can you help?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: There is fuel in the tank. I didn't know there was a shut off valve. This is on a 1995 J D 345 mower.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There are 3 lines. One should go to the car. and I'm wondering if I had them hooked up wrong. There are 2 lines to the pump.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** enough to figure out which is which. the line that spits out fuel will go to the carb. simply remove the fuel line you have going to the carb and crank the engine. now... I only show 2 lines going into the fuel pump so 1 from the tank and the other to the carb. so, if you remove the line from the tank and you have fuel there.... but not to the carb there is a good chance the pump has failed. check fuel to the pump first and write me back with what you find

thanks

good morning, were you able to resolve your issue? can I close this case or get you more info?