Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I got a four wheel and need to know how to adjust the idle

Customer Question

I got a four wheel and need to know how to adjust the idle can't get the machine to idle and I have cleaned the carb and also tryied a different carb also
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Did you check the adapter between the carburetor and cylinder head? Common for them to crack and let air leak in! What engine do you have? 350/400?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I the engine size? And I have not checked that adapter yet. Would there be anything else to try out on it?

Two cycle engine, water cooled. Front cowling should be marked with 350/400. Or engine cylinder head has cast number in it. But the adapter that carburetor connects to, is the most likely cause, other than the carburetor itself. Idle is set by the throttle cable adjustment. On the handle bar, the cable connection has a lok nut under the rubber boot, that has to be unlocked , then the cable can be rotated to change idle speed. Too fast, and you will not be able to get in gear without clashing gears.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok and this one is air cooled with a cooling fan in the front of the cylinder

250 or 300 air cooled engine? Does engine run ok just will not idle? The smaller engine carburetor attaches differently. Can still leak, but not as common.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok if that part is cracked would it still run fine just not want to idle?

Any leak in the air intake , between carburetor and cylinder head will affect idle. Did you try to adjust the throttle cable to raise the idle speed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't tried it yet planning on trying it Friday

OK>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could this part be out on affecting the idle? Tried to adjust the idle it didn't make any change

Yes ,adjusting the cable length should affect the idle. Take the three screws out of the top cover, and see if all is well inside.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so that's part of the idle then?

Cable goes direct to the butterfly in the carburetor and adjusting the cable . making it shorter, should raise the idle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if it doesn't then that rubber carb adapter is probably cracked?

Just another place to check! But it can affect idle. Idle can also be adjusted at the carburetor end of the throttle cable. But it is same cable that you adjust on handle bar.