Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a deere 420 the motor will die if i turn key off then

Customer Question

i have a john deere 420 the motor will die if i turn key off then back on before the motor stops it will start up again then run for a short time and it will do it again if i go to start it when cold if it dont start in a couple turns i flick the key a couple times then it fires right up. ive put a electric fuel pump on but no differance can u help thanks
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Onan engine. Which engine do you have? B48G, or the P220G? Points and condenser, or electronic ignition?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I hsve the P220G not sure about the points and condenser

See link above. No points, electronic ignition. Only part that seems to affect the spark by turning key on and off would be the igniter , next to the crank sensor.

I do see a condenser, I would replace it before biting the bullet for a new igniter .