Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Z4822 which is continually shearing the idler

Customer Question

I have a Z4822 which is continually shearing the idler pulley bolt. The first time it happened it actually sheared the stepped down portion of the pulley bushing. I replaced the bushing and bolt, as well as the belt. It sheared the bolt within 30 minutes. I then used a Grade 8 bolt, and this time it lasted less than 5 minutes. Alignment of the belt seems to be fine. I did notice some wobble in the pulley on the left blade, which I lubed before the last fail. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

The bolt has to tighten up and leave the pulley free to rotate. The bolt should tighten up on the inner bearing race. If the bolt does not tighten and leave pulley free, it will shear off!

did you see my response?