Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

It's a 96 onan commercial 4500 with no spark, tested coil

Customer Question

It's a 96 onan commercial 4500 with no spark, tested coil resistance and it was good, checked voltage during cranking and coil was only getting 7 and I also checked the negative side of coil and think I saw the voltage quickly going from 7-0 because if the trigger wheel, I cranked the truck up and voltage went to 10 but my meter no longer could see the trigger wheel pulsing but the engine was also turning over faster with the truck running, I've also ran a wire from starter to positive terminal on coil and still had no spark
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I've tried a different coil and pickup magnet and also the trigger wheel has been replaced about a year ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

This is normally due to a bad ignition module, but can also be caused by a bad battery.

I would have the battery tested first to see if it is the problem.