JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I need a Kawasaki small engine tech. I have a FD750d-ASO4

Customer Question

I for sure need a Kawasaki small engine tech. I have a FD750d-ASO4 that is filling the carb with gas and the only way to get it to run is crimp the fuel line on and off. I have replaced the filter, fuel pump and carb. and coils. I even took the flywheel off and checked for movement of key and replaced it because it was well it looked an offset key.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Regular pulse fuel pump? Should not be capable of flooding the carburetor. And you have replaced fuel pump and the carburetor? Will it run long enough to run a cylinder test, to see that both cylinders are firing? Loosen the spark plug wires and remove one wire at a time with engine idling. Engine should continue to run, if engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Is it getting spark, and does it have compression, are the valves set? .006 inch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done all of the above. I even took the muffler loose to see if for some reason it was not getting even air flow. Nothing. Plugs were one of the first things that we checked. When the muffler was open you could see the plugs firing. When engine was first cranked this way fuel shot out the exhaust.

Compression was good and valves are set? Everything points to a bad needle valve and float in the carburetor, but new carb same as old.!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have changed oil three times because of excess gas in oil. and engine trying to run on gas from crankcase.

Same problem, carburetor needle valve and float not controlling the fuel!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took the carb off the engine and hooked line up with carb in my hand and turned it on and bowl filled up and cut off as it should but put it on engine and the same thing Too much gas!

That makes no sense. Let me opt out and see anyone else has ever seen this !Sorry.

Thinking about the flooding condition , seems to me that the float may be sinking, from having internal leak. Is the old and new float plastic or metal float? Only way for fuel to get into the oil is through the needle valve leaking, and the float is the control.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That would seem right but, like I said took the carb off and it worked fine. Put it on and it won,t work?

Intake manifold gaskets good?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will try to assist you with this issue.

Can you provide the part number of the new carburetor that you have installed on the engine?

Since you say that the carburetor works fine off of the engine but when you put it on it over fuels I am wondering if there is a difference in the venting of the carburetor which when mounted is blocking the atmospheric vent which will cause the carburetor to over fuel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked with dealer and confirmed carb.###-##-####