Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a mower with a Kubota motor in it. The end of the

Customer Question

I have a Scag mower with a Kubota motor in it. The end of the shut off Solenoid blew off while it was running. I ordered a new one and replaced it. Now the mower won't even turn over. Looking at my book I see there are 2 relay, Synchonize Start and clutch kill circuits on it. Could they be the problem ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

You say it won't turn over? Have you checked the fuses? When the solenoid came apart, it could have blew the fuse, and now you have no voltage to the key switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has 2 30 amp fuses and they both look good. Should I try to replace even if they look alright ?

Does the shutoff solenoid open when you turn on the key? Do you get any indication that the key has voltage? If not, fuse or fuse holder is suspect!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I turn the key on I can here the fuel pump come on and the fuel and volts gauge come in. How can I tell if the shutoff solenoid opens or not ? Keep in mind that you are the expert and I'm the dummy here :-)

OK< fuses are good! The relay you mentioned , shows to be start relay, it could keep engine fro engaging the starter. Do your glow plugs show to be working. they use a delay timer, that could also affect start.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I turn the key on I turn it to the left and hold for 5 seconds or so and then turn the key to the on position. Everything looks and sounds right except it doesn't turn over. It has 3 glow plugs from what I see.

Do you have a voltmeter or battery charger to test the battery voltage? Can you jump the starter solenoid, from the battery cable terminal to the single switch terminal , to see if the starter will spin the engine?