Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Mower deck will not engage : It stopped working while it was

Customer Question

Mower deck will not engage
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It stopped working while it was running
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No. Motor runs fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Make and model? Electric clutch ? Do you have a voltmeter to check the voltage to the clutch? Clutch has to have 12 volts to engage. Are the wires on the clutch, mounted under the engine on the crankshaft?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
John Deere model L120.no voltage meter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are wires on the crank

It didn't quit when you went into reverse? RIO switch kills pto when you reverse. Have you checked the wiring harness under the engine to the clutch? Need to know if the pto switch has 12 volts, and if it sends 12 volts to the clutch. Need voltmeter or test light!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Didn't stop while in reverse. I'll look into it further when I get a volt meter. Thanks for your help

oK> Thanks