Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

Riding mower wont start - suspect carburater : I siphoned

Customer Question

Riding mower wont start - suspect carburater
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I siphoned the old fuel and put in fresh fuel, changed the fuel filter, spark plugs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: air filter looks fine
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The lawn mower sat for over a year with no use. It sounds like it wants to turn over - just wont fire. I think old gas may have gummed up the carb
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nope. Was going to go get some. Got this mower from my dad so this is my first time servicing it. I cant locate the carb. Its a 2006 Cub Cadet LT1046... Can you help me locate it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dont see it on any of the parts manuals
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I can help you locate it, What brand is your engine? What are the model numbers for your engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kohler Command - Model CV23S
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1000 Series
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spec # *****
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for these numbers. Click on the link below. Your carburetor is behind your air cleaner housing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I found it. So just spray into that opening - or somewhere more specific?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Glad you found it. The purpose of the carburetor cleaner, is to see if your engine will either start up and continue to run, or if your engine will start up and run briefly, after you spray carburetor cleaner into your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

If your engine will only run briefly, afterwards, then I would check to make sure you are getting a steady flow of fuel to your carburetor. If so, then you will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

The old gas has likely contaminated your carburetor, and clogged either your main jet, or the small fuel passages inside your carburetor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would you recommend a carb and choke cleaner spray (Gumout brand) ? Or other - something I can pick up at Home Depot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or Gumout starting fluid?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I prefer using carburetor cleaner for this purpose, rather than starting fluid. The brand does not matter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thanks will run out and get some
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome!