Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Had the engine on my 2000 craftsman mower mdlgo south on me.

Customer Question

Had the engine on my 2000 craftsman mower mdl###-##-####go south on me. found 2005 craftsman mdl###-##-####with bad transmition to swap. put 2000 hydrostatic in 2005 and purged but forward is just crawl. I have reverse like crazy and neutral on the shift arm is almost all the way forward.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

could the lever on the transmission have slipped? Sounds like it goes too far in reverse direction, but not far enough forward. Lever needs to be moved back, to give forward more travel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have removed the upper shift lever and moved transmission shift arm manually all the way forward with same results.

But transmission was ok before you blew the engine? Now it is bad? You don't have wheel spinning on the axle? Where rear wheel key was missed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Trans was good before engine went bad. keys in rear wheels. mower will go backwards fine but just a crawl in forward. have no way to adjust shift lever other than neutral adjustment of 1/2" either direction.

The lever has to move the internal swash plate movement , which changes direction and speed. So transmission is bad!

Did you find problem?