My door opens and shuts by itself???? 't know what the

Customer Question

My door opens and shuts by itself???? don't know what the problem is?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  eddie22Island replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model WHISPER DRIVE and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Eddie,
I'll answer as per your numbered questions
1- The Unit # ***** Part # ***** ***** Canada #(###) ###-####. I do not have the manual for this opener.
2- The date on the unit is 10/02 and I am not the original owner.
3- When looking at the door from inside the garage the right side sensor is green and the left side sensor is amber, both are steady and not flickering.
4- I have two wall control, none are working , I have two remotes but only one is working.
5- There is an ***** *****ght on top of the learn button which flashes three times before resting for a few seconds and flashing again 3 times.
6- As far as I know there were no disruption when the problem started . I was away on vacation, no one in the house except for a person doing regular checkups.. there could have been a hydro interruption but nothing troublesome.
7- Yes I'm using company issued equipment.
8- I have a belt drive
9- My problem has nothing to do with the remote or transmitter. My problem is that the door open and closes at will day and night on a continual basis. The remote works ok. It will open or close the door on command. However it will not stay in its ordered position. It can just as easily drop on my car or drop on a person walking in or out of the garage. All I'm doing now is shutting off the power to the opener when it is in the closed position, or leave my car outside the garage and use the door as entry and exit.
10- I'm well versed in mechanical work or adjustments or whatever is required to be done for this problem., If you tell me how to go about, it will be done.

Joe first I want to thank you putting the effort into the questions I posed.......people don't realize it helps considerably in all aspects........thank you for your diligence thing though is I need the color of the learn button not the LED by it might be red, green, yellow, or purple

That LED blinking does mean your wall control is not working ..............nothing you didn't what our problem might include is bad wall control......or bad wire ................a bad logic board........and one of your neighbors could be on the same frequency and that might be why your door is opening intermittently

what we'll do is start off with a hard reset and erase

ERASE: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including key less...........plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

I don't believe you have dip switches on your model (on the remotes and the opener) but just verify that for me

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!