Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

When key is turned on temperture gauge does not work, fuel

Customer Question

When key is turned on temperture gauge does not work, fuel level does work, engine will not turn over.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What brand of machine is this?

It sounds like you have a blown fuse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
zd28 Kubota mower, I have check and cleaned all the fuses in the fuse block and they are O.K.

Your battery is good? You have had it load tested?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought the battery last year, and I have it on charge right now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was mowing when the engine died, I have not been able to get the starter to engage, this is a diesel enging and i'm puzzeled as to why it quit.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John, i'm still waiting for an answer>

If the battery went dead when running it would have killed the engine because it needs battery voltage in order to keep the fuel solenoid engaged for the engine to run. This would also explain the reason as to why you are getting nothing now when you turn the key on, no gauges working or the starter won't crank the engine. If all of the fuses are good as you have indicated then my next step would be to have the battery load tested to make certain that it is good under a load or when you try to start the engine. It sounds like you may currently have a dead battery but you may also have an alternator issue that is not charging the battery when the machine is running which would cause the battery to go dead.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine temperture gauge does not work but the fuel gauge and the fuel pump do work when key is turned on.

The temp gauge doesn't normally start to show anything until after the engine is running and begins to warm up.

The battery has to have at least some voltage left in it otherwise the fuel gauge and fuel pump would not work, however the battery still could be low at this point and not have enough voltage to engage the starter. I would have the battery load tested to see what kind of voltage it maintains when under a load.

When you try to start the engine are your hearing any clicks, buzzes at all?