Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I was about to mow with my Dad's Bad Boy zt elite. When I t

Customer Question

I was about to mow with my Dad's Bad Boy zt elite. When I hit the starter the gear just spins and doesn't engage the motor. The mower was otherwise running fine before this happened. Do you have any tips?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Bad Boy ZT Elite 2014 model.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I could, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, that's about it:)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Battery may be weak and does not have enough voltage to throw the gear into the flywheel. When was mower last used?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I drove the mower over to wash off some gasoline after toping off the tank. After doing so when I went to start it up again the starter would not engage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any tips?

Check the battery cables and terminals, or try jump starting, to see if it is just low battery.