Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a craftsman riding mower with 17.5 briggs -- after

Customer Question

I have a craftsman riding mower with 17.5 briggs -- after mowing for about 20 min engine shuts down & battery is almost dead-- battery is new also when shutting down engine keeps running for 5 sec after key is turned off --- are these 2 separate problems?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Yes it sounds like you have two separate issues on this one.

After running for 20 minutes the engine shuts off on its own? Does this machine have an electric clutch to run the mower deck?

You can disregard the question about the clutch, I answered my own question there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no electric clutch

When the machine shuts off, you say that the battery is almost dead. Can you tell me what kind of voltage the battery has when the engine shuts down? I am to assume that when you start the engine the battery is fully charged?

The engine continuing to run for a short time after the ignition key is turned off is most likely a ground wire issue going from the switch to the ignition coil. The engine may have a fuel solenoid on the carburetor that shuts the fuel flow off going through the carburetor which would eventually stop the engine since it can not get fuel to it any longer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
battery is fully charged starting out and is so low at shutdown it cannot fully turn the engine over

Can you give me a voltage reading on the battery? This could be more than one possible issue you are dealing with.

1. It could be that the charging system is not working properly allowing the battery to go dead.
  2. It could be that the compression release isn't working properly when the engine is warm or after it has been run a little.
  3. It could be a case of a bad(new) battery which happens more often than I would like to see.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the ampmeter shows good positive charge when running had a one year old battery when it started acting up so bought new one with same results what does the compression release have to do with this

If the compression release isn't working properly the engine is going to be really hard to crank over and even with a brand new battery the engine will most likely not turn or at best would be very difficult to turn over. I would be interested in knowing what the battery voltage is doing when you try to start the engine once it has stopped on you. Do you have a load tester to check the battery? If not, do you have a voltmeter that you can put on the battery and watch the voltage reading when you try to crank the engine after it has stopped.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
even after engine has cooled down it will not turn over until battery is recharged so I think that rules out the compression release something is running the battery so low so probably the fuel solenoid closes won't be able to check out voltage on run down battry till next mowing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think we are getting to the bottom of my problem so just give me credit for my deposit & we'll call it a day

So, there is no electric clutch therefore there is nothing else to run the battery down unless the charging system is just not working in order to recharge the battery from the initial start. I would check the charging system with the engine running, you should have at least 28VAC coming from the alternator white wire(s) and 14 - 15VDC coming from the red or black wire on the alternator. These are the wires that come from behind the starter, the engine must be running at full throttle when doing the test or check.