JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

When I disengage my pto, it will not engage again. And when

Customer Question

when I disengage my pto, it will not engage again. And when I turn my lawnmower off, it will not turn on again. I just bought a new battery.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like your charging system is not working properly. In order for the electric clutch to work or engage properly you need at least 7 volts of battery charge. If your battery drops below this the electric clutch will not work and if you shut the engine off it is not going to restart due to the battery being low on voltage. I would suggest that you check the charging system to make certain that it is working or functioning properly.

If you will provide the model and type or spec number from the engine I will be glad to assist you further with this problem. If you have a voltmeter we can do some test or checks on the charging system.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a mfg #(###) ###-####Broadmoor 16hp hydro
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a voltmeter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?

What engine do you have in this machine?

In order to proceed any further with diagnosis you will need a voltmeter. Since you just installed a new battery and it worked for a little while then I have to believe that the charging system is not working. If you have a or can acquire a voltmeter I will help you to test the voltage regulator and or alternator to see which one is bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a briggs & stratton.
So your saying it's either or both the regulator / alternator?

It is most likely the voltage regulator but could be the alternator. The voltage regulator is the easiest to replace because it is on the outside of the engine housing and only requires two bolts to be removed and a couple of wires unplugged. The alternator however is a much more involved repair in that you have to remove the flywheel in order to get to the alternator for replacement.

Based on what information that you have provided I believe that the problem is definitely in the charging system but which piece I am not sure without doing some other test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you. Just wasn't sure where to start.Thank you!

I would definitely look at the charging system. I would check or have it checked with a voltmeter, this way you could eliminate and narrow down which part is actually the problem.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.