Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My lawn tractor shuts off when clutch is released : engine

Customer Question

my lawn tractor shuts off when clutch is released
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: engine will start just fine but as soon as I release brake it shuts off .I changed seat switch and blade engagement switch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: no cant think of anything my tractor is a LT1000 by craftsman model###-##-####
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Brake/interlock has two functions, one is for start, the other is for the run circuit. Your run circuit is not complete. Brake switch may be bad, or the connections between it and the seat switch and pto switch may no be making the connection. Need to check the continuity between the switches, if brake switch does not help. age 31 in the operators manual linked below has wiring diagram/