Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an 18 HP single cylinder Briggs engine on a cub cadet

Customer Question

I have an 18 HP single cylinder Briggs engine on a cub cadet tractor bought in 2004. Cutting lawn last night it started sputtering. Pulled out choke it started running better but eventually quit running. Took the fuel filter out of the line. Same thing. Do think it is the fuel pump or the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. I might add when it cooled down a little it started back up and was able to get it back into garage.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It sounds like the problem lies in the carburetor , it could be the main jet is blocked etc . To test if it's getting fuel remove the fuel line from the carburetor end and and put itin a conailer and crank it over a few times to see if it's puts our fuel