Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I replaced the mower blades on my 2015 Toro timecutter

Customer Question

I replaced the mower blades on my 2015 Toro timecutter MX5050. The old ones seemed dull so I got another set to keep sharp and ready to be able to swap as needed. When I began to engage the mower blades, there was some smoke from rear (pulley area I think) and then motor cut off. I restarted and tried to reengage, motor cut off. Belt appeared worn so I replaced it. Now motor starts fine but cuts out when I try to engage the blades. What did I do wrong? Are bolts on blades too tight?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

With engine off, and pto off, can you turn the blades by hand? You should be able to, the blades and spindles should be free and not locked up.