Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Titan Z 4800 mower and while I was mowing, it just

Customer Question

I have a Titan Z 4800 mower and while I was mowing, it just shut off and not won't do anything. I checked the seat switch and it seems to be functioning. Are there any common issues with these?
Jody
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? Can you turn the engine by using the upper flywheel screen to ensure the engine is not locked? If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump across the two cable terminals with an old screwdriver, does engine spin? There would be an ignition fuse in the circuit from the starter solenoid, back to the keyswitch, is this fuse good?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have checked all the safety switches I can fine with an ohm meter. I have checked the battery voltage. I have checked all the fuses and the fuel level (although that is a mute point as the key start won't spin the engine. The engine will spin using a screwdriver across the starter solenoid. Even with the key on, it won't fire using this method of spinning the engine. It's not a fuel issue because it won't turn over using the key, so that will probably rule out the fuel shut off solenoid. I even checked and topped off the oil level, even though it wasn't low. I guessing that if you don't have specific knowledge about this particular machine you will be taking stabs in the dark as I have. But, any suggestions will be helpful.

Does the fuel solenoid click when you turn key on and off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not checked to see if the fuel solenoid clicks or not. Unless the fuel solenoid is somehow connected to the staring circuit, I'm not sure if that would be an issue at this point as there is no engine turn over with the key. I even tried turning the key on and jumping the starter solenoid to see if it would fire, not.

Did engine spin when you jumped starter solenoid? If not , you have no voltage to the starter solenoid, or your starter is bad! What was battery voltage?? Has to be above 12.5 volts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have checked all the safety switches I can fine with an ohm meter. I have checked the battery voltage. I have checked all the fuses and the fuel level (although that is a mute point as the key start won't spin the engine. The engine will spin using a screwdriver across the starter solenoid. Even with the key on, it won't fire using this method of spinning the engine. It's not a fuel issue because it won't turn over using the key, so that will probably rule out the fuel shut off solenoid. I even checked and topped off the oil level, even though it wasn't low.

Do you have 12 volts to the key switch through the fuse ?