Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a quiet pact 40g generator on my class c RV. It

Customer Question

Frank I have a quiet pact 40g generator on my class c RV. It wasn't conducting power and only has 105 hrs on it. I spoke to a Generac guy and he said it was most likely the voltage regulator or the breaker. I replaced both, fired it back up and it started working again. I checked the microwave and the air conditioner and everything was working perfectly. I shut it down and then came back a few hrs later to try it again and nothing! There is a little red bulb on the regulator that was on when I started it up the first time and it's off now. I don't know where to go from here?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;The model# ***** ***** Serial # *****(###) ###-#####34;
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there more information your looking for from me?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, but I work 2 jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. I simply can't be online 24/7.

The first thing I need you to do is a procedure called the Fixed Excitation/Rotor Amp Draw test.

I have uploaded the procedure for you.

Please do test #4, and let let me know all the results. When giving the results, please give me wire numbers, rather than step numbers. IE - Say "wire 2-6 gives 35 VAC", not "step 5 is 35 VAC". It saves me a lot of time.

Click here to download the procedure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have drop box on my iPhone but it won't open this file? Is it PDF?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

No, that was an .xls file. You need Windows 7 or newer to open it, or download a free software for it.

That's why I hate smart phones - people become too dependent on them, and they don't do everything you need them to do.

I have scanned it in as a .pdf.

Click here to download it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help!!! I have a friend bringing a ohm and voltage meter over now but I got to the brushes and they look good. See the pic attached.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't start it up because the fuel line doesn't reach after I drop the generator. I have to drop the generator to get to the top of the unit where the voltage regulator is. is there another step to take or do I need to buy more fuel hose to go through these steps first?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I work on these for a living, and sometimes I forget that not everyone is set up like I am.

I have a portable tank with 8' hose, and a battery with 6' cables sitting on my generator work cart, so I never have to worry about finding these things when I need them.

Yes, you are going to have to come up with something for a fuel supply and a battery. Even just a piece of fuel line dropped into a gas can works just fine.

I would suggest getting the gen up on a bench or table to make it easier to work on, and don't suggest putting it back in the coach until everything is running properly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Man, I am just not savy enough on the electronics end of motors. I was able to get my hands on a volt meter and checked a few things I had assistance with but unfortunately I think I'm going to have to take it somewhere. It just doesn't make sense that I bought a new voltage regulator installed it, it worked for several minutes, i shut it off and it doesn't work again?!?! In my mind something has to be something in the stator?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The brushes are in good shape and takes an ohm reading anywhere from 16-100 ohms depending on the position the brushes are on the shaft. Those are the little things I do know how to check but this might be a bit over my head.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Not necessarily.

It could easily been just a bad voltage regulator. It is not common, but it does happen.

Another thing that will eat a VR up is starting and stopping the genset with a load on it. This is extremely bad for both the genset, and whatever is on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I made sure the loads were off of it when I shut it down. The air conditioner compressor and fan were both off when I shut it down last night.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Some people are good about removing the loads before shutting down the genset, but some people just don't care. Then they wonder why their gensets are so unreliable.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a way to do a test on the voltage regulator to see if it is bad? I cycled through all the terminals with my volt meter and didn't get any readings.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

There are a couple tests that can be done, but you need to start with that Fixed Excitation test. It is the first 2 tests of the VR.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I might have to return to you later this weekend or the start of next week because I have 2 kids playing in baseball tournaments all weekend. I was trying to get this done before then because it's supposed to be 100 degrees on Saturday. Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Not a problem.

100 degrees? Where in the heck are you at? I sure don't want to be there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Central Illinois. You wouldn't think it but yea not only will it be hot it will be humid as all get out!!!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

You can have it...

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you had a chance to look at this yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I have 3 kids playing ball currently and have games every night. I plan to do it this Sunday.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.