Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2015 yamaha viking with 700cc engine....starter

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a 2015 yamaha viking with 700cc engine....starter spins but does not engage....tried jumper pack on battery to boost voltage...its at 12.6 on dash...about 11.7 when spinning....any advice.?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've read abut a one way clutch on the starter on other models...curious if this engine has one as well...I'm mechanical...si I can diagnose but utvs are a luttle foreign to me as to how their systems work.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Starter spins the gear to the dampner, and goes through the gears to the one way clutch, that has to grasp to spin engine, and freewheel when engine starts. See the diagram above.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the case would need to be cracked open to get to those gears and parts, correct? It's not just a replacement of the starter....

I would check the starter first, with starter off you can move the gears, and if they move in both directs, and do not lock in one direction , then you know it is the internal gears and have to open the case! I have not had one apart.

I see question is still open, please rate to close and get me credit! Thanks.