Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I own a food truck and it has an ONAN HGJAE Standby System.

Customer Question

I own a food truck and it has an ONAN HGJAE Standby System. The Unit number is ***** 5281. It has approximately 4000 hours on it. It started shutting down after about 30 minutes of running . We brought it in to N Power and they thought it was a simple fix. They adjusted HZ and said they ran it with full load for 4 hours with no issues. Unfortunately we ran it for 30 minutes and it broke. We have since brought it back and they are recommending we get a new generator. They state that they pulled and split your gen to replace the coils they discovered grease and water inside the bottom end of the generator and most importantly all over the stator. How could this happen? They think it's cooking grease? Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

It is very easy for things to get sucked into this genset. The cooling air intake is located at the bottom of the genset. Any dirt/grease/oil/debris that is present in the air will get sucked into the unit.

I regularly service several of the HGJ series that are mounted in mobile dog grooming vans, and I am constantly having to clean dog hair out of them.

Are they absolutely certain that it was cooking grease, and not just regular engine oil?

Are they absolutely certain that the genset needs to be replaced?

Sometimes these units are a bear to troubleshoot, but I have yet to see one that had to be replaced, with the exception of 1 unit that was run out of oil. Even then, we just replaced the engine, not the entire unit.

What is broken on it that it needs to be replaced?