John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

Oil gets in air cleaner and burns off, why is internal

Customer Question

oil gets in air cleaner and burns off, why is internal pressure so high as to push oil up to cleaner. also what is the torque of motor. its a jd 445.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: well like what? runs good, no way to check oil press. not well versed in small engines, but just seams to much oil press. internally.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 8 months ago.

good morning Ken my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help

first off the torque of the engine will take awhile to find because they don't rate the smaller engines that way

secondly there are a couple reasons oil may enter your air cleaner. one of which is if the oil is to thin (has it been changed recently with the correct weight. does it smell like it has been diluted by gas?)

if the crank case pressure seems to be high then you may want to check and make sure your breather pipe isn't full of debris (grass...mud wasps)

crank case pressure is normal and it needs to vent. if you have a worn engine that will also build excessive pressure because the compression will leak from the top of the piston into the base

check those things out and lets see if we can come up with a conclusion

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
morning john, change oil regularly don't think it smells like gas is there, will check, also will check breather. it does not smell or look like its burning oil other than what goes in thru air intake, know what I mean ! it does have 1400 hrs. or so, purchased used. if its leaking compression, changing rings help?

yes a rebuild would help for sure. if the breather checks out to be clean I would say your engine is just getting tired and sending compression pressure into the crankcase. there are leak down tests that can be done to prove that to be the issue. it involves some special tools and isn't always all that accurate though. you could try running a heavier oil or a synthetic oil to see if the issue slows down. that would tell you for sure

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks for your help john. I'll be checking out the things you mentioned.

sounds great and please le me know how you make out Ken

Expert:  John Oliver replied 7 months ago.

any luck on this Ken?