Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My Toro 22 in Recycler Lawn Mower Model # 20372 runs an hour

Customer Question

My Toro 22 in Recycler Lawn Mower Model # ***** runs for about an hour and then sputters and quits. After leaving for 20+ mins it will restart but then only stays running for 15 - 30 mins and sputters and quits again. Same thing happens after letting sit for awhile and then restarting again, but each time it is restarted it runs for less time before quitting. Have had in for service twice with no luck. Carb was cleaned. Has fresh gas with no ethanol. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It sounds like a valve issue where it's running good then as the valves get hotter they lose their seal and the compression drops , then eventually it dies . The reason it only stays running a short time after sitting briefly is they are still hot and not setingbwithnthe valve seals well

The way to test and confirm this is check the compression before starting it and right after it does . If it has 75 psi before running it then only 55 right after it shuts off you know your losing compression

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ThanksCustomer I am not real handy at this kind of thing. If it is a problem with a valve, is this typically worth getting repaired at a local repair shop or is it more cost effective to replace the mower? Don't have a feel for how labour intensive this would be and not sure how easy it is for them to troubleshoot this at the repair shop.
I would ask a local repair shop to test the compression before running it and right after it dies