Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Super Bronco lawn tractor from 2004 that has been

Customer Question

I have a Super Bronco lawn tractor from 2004 that has been running just fine. Today, the transmission isn't working was put in reverse, blade was disengaged, motor died, won't restart, tractor won't roll, still in gear. Tried to put it in neutral, but transmission still locked in gear. What connection or linkage isn't working?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Tractor will not start if brake is not applied, it has no neutral switch. But could the brake be locked? Brake is on the right side of the transmission, just ahead of the right rear tire. A mechanical disc brake, the caliper held with two bolts, you can loosen the two bolts to see if the brake is locked.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know about the brake. I managed to get the transmission into neutral. Is there a cutoff switch under the transmission that connects to the Reverse that could keep the engine from starting. I have never had any problem with it starting as it started and was running just fine before this happened. When I crank it, it sounds like something is preventing it from starting (like a cutoff switch)

Is the engine spinning, just not starting? Do you have spark? Do you have fuel to the carburetor inlet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine is spinning, just not catching, like the spark plug is being neutralized. This is a model J609 and parts book shows a spring switch under transmission that is tripped when put in Reverse. Is this keeping the engine from catching?

No, safety switches will not keep engine from starting. Need ti run spark test, remove spark plug, and with it grounded to the metal of the engine, crank and watch for spark.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Took plug out and laid it on metal hooked to wire, cranked engine and it's sparking just fine, good strong spark.

OK< if you hold finger with rag over the spark plug hole does it have enough compression to move your finger? If it has spark and compression , put teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install spark plug and see if engine will fire for a few seconds. If it does, no fuel is getting through the carb.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are safety cutoff switches in many places on these mowers, one under the seat, but if you put the tractor is reverse with the blade still engaged, it kills the engine. I disengaged the blade and reached down to put it in reverse, which is when the motor died. There is nothing wrong with the engine, its getting gas. I think it is a kill switch that is causing this that is somehow engaged, still. Just don't know where to look.

Reverse switch can kill the spark, but it will not affect the fuel system. Do you have spark?

Bronco diagram