Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a gravely 1842 ZT which come out of the factory with

Customer Question

I have a gravely 1842 ZT which come out of the factory with a 40" mower deck from model 915020. I have an idler pulley rubbing on the main pulley. I put on a new belt and spring - it still rubs, sparks ,etc. The grease fitting on the pivot is loose and greased.
What is going on?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

915020 belt 46 1/2 X 5/8-----is this the belt size you have? A narrower belt will be too long, letting the idler rub the main pulley.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The belt you are referring to [46"} is the mower deck belt. It is fine and also new. I am referring to the drive belt going to the mower deck {which is new} and has tension from the idler pulley. And like I said I replaced the spring on the idler pulley and the idler pulley and the main / drive pulley which has the drive belt working off of it with the idler keeping this belt tight. These two pulleys are rubbing together when the belt is tight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The response before it sounds like I replaced the idler pulley and the main drive pulley - I did not- I replaced both belts and the idler spring.

All it shows is the 42 inch deck. Is this a two idler setup where the idlers go one each side of the belt, to pinch it to tighten? Have you tried rerouting the belt through the idlers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 40' mowing deck. A person at gravely said the model # ***** reference to my deck is 915020. I have an idler on the belt on the deck - it is all fine - my mower deck is fine - my problem is with the belt going from the main pulley to the deck - it has an idler and it is not making the main pulley and the idler pulley from rubbing against each other. Unless you get a schematic of my 40" deck you can not help me. You may be able to find this on a Gravely or Ariens web page.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

No, I find no diagram showing the belt arrangement for the belt between engine and deck. I will opt out