Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I've rebuilt My Tecumseh TVM 220 10 HP Engine, but I'm

Customer Question

I've rebuilt My Tecumseh TVM 220 10 HP Engine, but I'm having problems getting it to idle correctly? I'm hoping that I don't have to open the Engine again, in order to adjust My Governor! It doesn't seem to want to adjust
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The Engine is from 1999. I bought it knowing that it needed repair, but this has come as a surprise to Me! I've repaired Small Engines since 1992.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes! I'm on a VERY Small, fixed income!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just need to adjust My Governor, so that the Engine Doesn't try to run "Wide Open"!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

When you rebuilt it, did you set the valve clearance before you put it back together? This is flat head engine and valves have to be set by grinding the tips off to gin clearnce, and this is done with head off and valves out!